
Friday finally arrived. I was ready for the operation. I was actually looking forward to it. Get it over with and move on with my life. Emotionally I don't think I could have been any better. I wasn't afraid. I was prepared to deal with it. The inguinal orchietomy (or I/O, the term people in my new-found subculture of TC patients and survivors refer to it as) isn't too difficult. It's an outpatient procedure, the operation takes only about 90 minutes. I think the only eventful part of the the day was while the the nurse was prepping me for surgery and checking my blood pressure. After seeing that it was a little high he asked my mom to leave the room. He then asked if I was taking steroids. I laughed. He was serious. I guess I should take that as a compliment. So I guess I have two things in common with Lance Armstrong, we both found out we had cancer on Oct 2nd, and we were both accused of taking steroids :) Hopefully the third thing we have in common is we both beat TC.
After waking up from the procedure I was ready to get home. Unfortunately I was having a hard time breathing so they had to keep me around for a couple of extra hours until I was stable. This was particularly nerve racking for my poor mother. I think she is getting the worst part of this whole cancer thing.
The recovery period was almost as good as a vacation. Besides having a 4 inch incision at the base of my abs and some fairly significant pain extending down to the bottom of my groin, I was quite comfortable. The meds did wonders and I enjoyed a couple of days of movies, reading, and homemade cookies.
After waking up from the procedure I was ready to get home. Unfortunately I was having a hard time breathing so they had to keep me around for a couple of extra hours until I was stable. This was particularly nerve racking for my poor mother. I think she is getting the worst part of this whole cancer thing.
The recovery period was almost as good as a vacation. Besides having a 4 inch incision at the base of my abs and some fairly significant pain extending down to the bottom of my groin, I was quite comfortable. The meds did wonders and I enjoyed a couple of days of movies, reading, and homemade cookies.
Based on your gym regimen that was probably the first cookie you have had in years eh? Dodgeball for our M* team builder, I think I personally snapped that photo!
ReplyDeleteThoughts and prayers are with you my good friend!
Thanks Hildt, you snapped some good photo's that day. I had a hard time deciding which one to post but this one seemed the most appropriate!
ReplyDelete